To be honest, since my girls started school I stopped taking away the hard candies, for fear of choking, and let them eat whatever candy they liked; jaw breakers, taffy, M&M’s and ………peanuts.
Last night, my oldest daughter said to me, “I feel so bad for Jane, her whole trick or treat bag was filled with peanut candy.” Jane, as you well can guess, has a peanut allergy. In a way I never really felt before, came the thought: Would we send our kids out trick or treating and allow cyanide to be handed out? Of course not! But, in my opinion, that’s exactly what is being allowed to happen to children with food allergies. Believe me, in no way am I taking a holier-than-thou attitude or demonizing Halloween or any family that hands out peanut or nut candies, those happen to be my favorite. What I am saying is, why is it that with all of the information out there are people like me not giving life threatening food allergies a second thought? We would if cyanide were being handed out on Halloween night!
And so, as I sit here thinking about this problem, how many more children have to be rushed to the hospital in an anaphylaxis episode or die because someone didn’t wash their hands after eating Snickers? Food allergies must be acknowledged by the general public in the same way as putting milk away in the refrigerator, common place, not just a small sign on a restaurant menu.
I’m not trying to say I’m more compassionate and informed than other non-food allergy Moms, but I’m a MOM! We’re fierce, we’re tireless and we’ll do anything for our children – our children, and as the old saying goes “it takes a village to raise a family.”
Guest blogger Sheri Julian is a wife, mom, student, outdoor enthusiast and all around domestic Goddess. She is a huge asset to AllerWare, LLC offering her assistance, guidance and wise business sense whenever needed. I am very fortunate to all call her friend.